WHAT IS KYBELLA?
KYBELLA is a medication known as deoxycholic acid, that is injected in the area under the chin, also known as submental fat or double chin, resulting in improvement of the appearance of fat below the chin.
HOW DOES KYBELLA WORK?
Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that helps in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath your chin, it causes the destruction of fat cells in that area. Once these fat cells are destroyed, they can no longer store or accumulate fat. It is recommended to have 2 to 4 treatments to achieve desired results. Once the desired result is achieved, re-treatment is usually not necessary.
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR KYBELLA INJECTIONS?
Kybella is approved for use in anyone over the age of 18 with submental fat under the chin, also known as a “double chin”.
HOW DOES A KYBELLA TREATMENT WORK?
KYBELLA is a non-surgical treatment consisting of multiple injections, carefully placed, according to a specific grid, in the area below the chin to dissolve the fat cells. A numbing cream may be applied prior to treatment for your comfort. The treatment is done in the office and only takes a few minutes.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER A KYBELLA TREATMENT?
There will be some swelling and possible bruising immediately afterward each treatment which may last for a few weeks, depending on the individual response to the treatment.
IS THERE ANY DOWNTIME AFTER KYBELLA INJECTIONS?
There is no actual downtime, however, the swelling, and possible bruising, may be noticeable for a week or so, depending on individual’s response.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS HAVE TO SAY
“I had a good experience with this office. I was able to get an appointment right away when I called. The doctor was very professional and took the time to answer all of my questions. His staff was also very professional and answered my questions as well.”
HOW MANY KYBELLA TREATMENTS WILL I NEED?
We will help to assess how many treatments each person may need. Many patients experience visible results in 2 to 4 treatment sessions. Up to 6 sessions may be administered spaced no less than one month apart. It is expected that once the desired effect is reached, no further treatment is needed.
WHO IS NOT A CANDIDATE FOR KYBELLA?
- You should not use KYBELLA if you have an infection in the treatment area.
- Please tell us about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take a medicine that prevents the clotting of your blood (antiplatelet of anticoagulant medicine).
- Before receiving KYBELLA, tell us about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck or chin
- have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin
- have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area
- have had or have trouble swallowing
- have bleeding problems
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if KYBELLA will harm your unborn baby so we do not recommend treatment if you are pregnant).
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if KYBELLA passes into your breast milk so it is advised that you delay treatment until you are done nursing).
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF KYBELLA?
It is not known if KYBELLA is safe and effective in those less than 18 years of age. The most common side effects include: swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and areas of hardness in the treatment area. There is a rare possibility, when not injected properly, that KYBELLA can cause serious side effects, including trouble swallowing or nerve injury that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness. It is not known if KYBELLA is safe and effective for use outside of the submental area.