Licensed Medical Aesthetician
The neck and décolletage area, have long been areas that tend to be overlooked when it comes to skin care routines. In order to avoid saggy, dry skin, and a “turkey neck” look, which can occur with aging, facial products should be applied to the neck and décolletage as well as the face. Did you know that the neck and chest is one of the first areas where we show signs of aging? This tends to occur because the skin of the neck and chest can be more sensitive and therefore show the signs of aging more quickly than other areas of the body. There are also less oil glands in the neck, so the skin there tends to get dryer and age more quickly. How can you help to rejuvenate the delicate skin of the neck?
- Add A Neck Treatment To Your Next Facial and/or Microdermabrasion Treatment – The first step is to start off by adding a neck treatment to any SBC Facial and/or Microdermabrasion treatment. This will help to stimulate cell turnover and strengthen collagen & elastin. A series of neck treatments spaced out a month apart is the best way to see results. This will rejuvenate the skin, tighten pore size, brighten pigmentation and leave the skin glowing!
- Use A Retinol Serum Nightly – Retinol when applied topically to the skin helps to exfoliate and resurface the neck area. Although the skin of the neck can be more sensitive than the face, try starting with a small amount of product. I recommend our Piel MD Age Defying Night Serum to start. Our Age Defying Night Serum, in addition to Retinol, also contains antioxidants such as green tea which help to prevent changes in the neck area. The antioxidants, as well as the hydrating ingredient hyaluronic acid, will help plump up and smooth out neck wrinkles and fine lines.
- IPL (Intense Pulse Light) Treatments – The IPL treatments use intense pulse light to help improve brown pigmentation and improve the skin texture of the neck and chest. It is recommended to get a series of 3-5 treatments to see the best results. These IPL treatments, (also known as Photofacials), use Intense Pulse Light to create dramatic changes in the skin, resulting in less hyperpigmentation, reduced redness, and even helps stimulate collagen and tighten the pores. IPL uses short pulses of light to stimulate skin rejuvenation and penetrate the skin with minimal damage. An IPL treatment works by filtering various wavelengths of light to treat specific skin care concerns. The collagen and elastin fiber production are increased by gently injuring the deeper layers of the skin, while leaving the outer layers of the skin intact. This process kick-starts the body’s own natural wound healing capabilities and is what leads to younger, smoother, and tighter skin as a result!
- Microneedling and PRP (Plasma Rich Platelets) – Our Microneedling with PRP treatments use your own blood, (more specifically plasma), to stimulate the body’s own healing process to rejuvenate the neck and décolletage area. This process works by first extracting a patient’s blood and then spinning the blood in a centrifuge to separate the plasma from the red blood cells. Then the patient’s own concentrated platelets and tissue building elements (the Platelet Rich Plasma of PRP) are prepared into a solution.
Then using the microneedling device, they are penetrated deep into the layers of skin where they are then used to stimulate collagen and elastin for the neck and chest. This process creates clearer, smoother, and tighter skin for the neck and chest! Each microneedling treatment creates tiny punctures and holes in the top layer of skin, which act as micro channels and allow the platelet rich plasma to be absorbed deeply into the layers of the skin, giving the skin better, more lasting results! A series of treatments is recommended in order to see best results.
- Botox/ Dysport – Botox and Dysport are wrinkle “relaxers” that smooth out the muscles and create a smoother, clearer look. Although they are commonly used on the forehead area and between the brows- they can also help to relax the muscles of the neck, specifically the vertical cords or bands of the neck that can occur with aging and are caused by muscle contractions.
There are so many options to treat your neck and chest this Thanksgiving, so you can avoid a “Turkey Neck” look this season and step out into the holiday season with beautiful , and glamorous skin! We look forward to seeing you soon!