As summer approaches, many of us start to make plans to take care of our skin. This is the perfect time, too, since May is Melanoma Awareness Month. Lucky for you, Skin & Beauty Center has multiple locations across the Los Angeles area where you can schedule your skin screening with us! Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer. But with regular screenings and preventive steps, it can be easily avoided. That’s why it’s important to book your skin screening appointment this month, so you can be sure your skin is healthy and protected! Let’s go over everything from the warning signs, to the ABCDEs of melanoma!
What Is Melanoma?
Melanoma is a form of skin cancer that occurs when the skin’s melanocytes, which produce pigment, start multiplying uncontrollably. These cells produce moles or dark spots on the skin’s surface that might be raised or flat and are frequently brown, black, or multicolored. It’s crucial to consult your doctor if you notice any changes in your moles or any strange skin lesions because if melanomas are not treated at an early stage, they can spread to other areas of the body. To stop melanoma from becoming a significant health danger, early identification is important.
The ABCDEs of Melanoma
- A – Asymmetry: Moles usually have a uniform shape. If you spot a mole that is asymmetrical or in the shape of an ‘A’, it could be a sign of melanoma.
- B – Border: If any of your moles have irregular or jagged borders, it could be a sign that it is melanoma.
- C – Color: Multiple shades of brown, black, or even blue and red can be indications that it is melanoma.
- D – Diameter: Melanoma tends to be larger than your typical mole, and grows over time. If you see a mole that is bigger than usual, it’s possible that it is melanoma.
- E – Evolving: If any of the above factors are changing, this could be a sign of melanoma as well.
Schedule Your Skin Screening In Los Angeles
If you are in the Los Angeles area and want to do your part during Melanoma Awareness Month by scheduling a skin screening, Skin & Beauty Center is the perfect place to go. All of our providers can give you world-class care and the experience and expertise you need to ensure that your skin is healthy and on the right track. Contact us today at (818) 842-8000 or visit us online at www.dermla.com to schedule your skin screening with us in awareness of Melanoma Awareness Month!