It’s no secret that our body experiences many changes as we age. Many of these changes innately happen because of our genes.
There are many changes that occur. Here are the 3 Most Common Changes:
- There is a decrease in collagen and minerals that maintain our bone structure, causing a weakened foundation to hold volume.
- There is a decrease in facial fat pads giving the appearance of volume loss and creating dryer skin.
- There is an additional subset of collagen that is also affected, causing thin and inelastic skin.
Although we cannot completely stop this process from occurring, we can create a routine to prevent and slow down the process of aging.
- The most important product that one can implement into their daily routine is sunscreen! Sunscreen with an SPF greater than 35 is key to maintaining healthy skin.
- Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin C, and topical retinoids are additional topical agents that can help you with maintaining youthful skin. These agents can restore damaged skin cells, moisturize, act as an antioxidant, increase collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, even out skin color and skin tone, ultimately leading to the maintenance of youthful skin. Topical hyaluronic acid and vitamin C are safe during pregnancy, but topical retinoids should be avoided when pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Beyond the topical treatments listed above, there are many procedures that can reverse natural aging process. Theses procedures include neuromodulators, fillers, lasers, and threadlifts. With a combination of these procedures, volume, skin damage, and wrinkles can be diminished and restored.
To find out what is best for your skin, set an appointment to find out what can be done to maintain your skin’s youthful appearance.