The new year always comes with new resolutions to eat healthier and to exercise to get in better shape. Aside from diet and exercise, how many of us make resolutions regarding our skin? Here are 3 recommendations you can start doing for your skin in 2018.
1) Do-it-yourself beauty tip: (This was taken from Patricia Conte who is a contributing writer to the Beauty, Health, and Home channel for SheKnows Media.) Rosewater is a natural, mild astringent, and can help remove excess oil from your skin as well as help soothe and tone it. Rosewater makes a gentle and all-natural face toner for almost all skin types, and it’s easy and inexpensive to make.
- 2 roses for about one packed cup of rose petals (be sure to rinse the petals first)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 strainer
- 1 large, sterilized glass container (large enough to hold 2 cups of liquid) with a tight-fitting lid
- Optional: 1 small, sterilized glass container with a tight-fitting lid to use as a more convenient size in your bathroom.
- Remove the rinsed rose petals from the roses and place them in a small pan.
- Pour two cups of boiling water over the petals and put a lid on the pan. Allow the water and petals to sit until the water cools to about room temperature.
- Place the strainer over a large, sterilized glass container and pour the water into the container.
- Optional: Add some of the rosewater to a small, sterilized glass container with a lid for a more convenient size to use in your bathroom.
- Store extra rosewater in the refrigerator for about a week.
- Apply the rosewater toner to a clean face before moisturizing.
Before applying the rosewater toner to your face, apply a small amount on your inner arm to help ensure you can tolerate the ingredients. In addition, don’t forget to wash your face first to remove any dirt or makeup, and then gently pat your face dry. Apply the toner using a cotton ball or pad.
2) Cosmetically-assisted skin tip: For anyone ready to take the plunge into cosmetic procedures in 2018, one procedure I recommend is a chemical peel. Chemical peels help to smooth and refine the skin’s texture. It aids in correcting skin tone as well as reducing fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps to lighten sun spots and to improve mild acne scarring. Since there are different strengths of chemical peels it is best to schedule a consultation with one of our providers to see which chemical peel would be of most benefit for your skin.
Learn more about Chemical Peels
3) Long-term skin tip: The single most important thing you can do for your skin in 2018 is to wear sunscreen daily. We recommend using a sunscreen with the active ingredients zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide with an SPF of at least 30 or higher. It is also important to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours when you are outdoors and it should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off or sweating.