Skin cancer is the most common type in the United States, with about 3.3 million Americans diagnosed yearly. Of these skin cancers, basal cell carcinoma is the most prevalent making up about 80 percent of cases. Fortunately, this type of cancer has a five-year cure rate of 95 percent. Additionally, the board-certified dermatologists at the Skin & Beauty Center are highly experienced in utilizing the best screening and treatment options for skin cancer.
Surgical Treatments for Basal Cell Carcinoma
Most basal cell carcinomas are cured through outpatient surgical procedures. Our providers will use a local anesthetic to ensure you’re comfortable during your appointment.
Surgical treatments for basal cell carcinoma include:
- Mohs Surgery: During this procedure, thin layers of tissue are removed then tested for cancerous cells until only healthy tissue remains. Mohs surgery has the highest cure rate of all treatment options and typically has a great cosmetic outcome.
- Electrodesiccation and curettage (ED&C): During ED&C, the top layers of skin cancer are scraped off and what remains is destroyed with an electric current.
- Excision: Basal cell carcinoma is cut out along with a margin of normal surrounding skin. The sample is then sent to a lab to ensure your skin cancer has been removed.
Topical Treatments for Basal Cell Carcinoma
If your skin cancer is superficial or you have a bleeding disorder, you could be a good candidate for topical basal cell carcinoma treatments. Options include:
- Photodynamic Therapy (PDT): This two-step treatment involves applying a topical medication that’s activated by a specific wavelength of light to eliminate some basal cell carcinomas.
- Topical Chemotherapy: 5-fluorouracil (Efudex) cream is a chemotherapy agent that can be applied topically for about three to six weeks until your basal cell carcinoma is gone.
- Immune response modifiers: Imiquimod is an immune system modifier that causes some superficial basal cell carcinomas to crust and fall off.
The Skin & Beauty Center’s providers can determine if a surgical or non-surgical option will have a better outcome for you.
Schedule Your Skin Cancer Treatment Consultation
The word cancer might always sound scary, but the warm and welcoming providers at the Skin & Beauty Center make it as easy as possible to get the treatment you need. With more advanced options than ever before and an extremely high cure rate, there’s no reason to delay your basal cell carcinoma treatment. Call 818-842-8000 to book an appointment at one of our seven Los Angeles, California area offices.